Why Become a Distributed Education Faculty Member?
As a preceptor, you have the opportunity to share your joy of practicing in a rural or regional community with young medical learners who are making career and location decisions. Becoming a preceptor provides a physician with support from Distributed Education and the wider Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University on the best practices of teaching medical learners in Southwestern Ontario. You will join approximately 600 other physicians in Southwestern Ontario, who are busy clinicians, but who value the chance to share their knowledge and experience with medical students and residents. As a preceptor you form part of recognized and valued Faculty of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University.
Our objective is to introduce medical students and residents to clinical educational opportunities in rural regional Distributed Education teaching sites in Southwestern Ontario.
Benefits of Being a Distributed Education Preceptor
Our preceptors enjoy many benefits from their affiliation with Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University. Benefits include:
- Extensive online medical and e-journal resources from the Allyn & Betty Taylor Library at Western with comprehensive training on access to these resources
- A wide range of Faculty Development seminars provided in London and throughout Southwestern Ontario communities by Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Access to mini fellowship funding to support education
- Compensation for teaching
- Mileage and parking for any required meetings
- Contributing to the next generation of physicians!