Internal Research Grant (IRG)
The Internal Research Grant (IRG) Program supports research initiatives of relevance to oral health or dental education. This program promotes scholarly activity by faculty members whose primary appointment is within Schulich Dentistry. Faculty members who are cross-appointed with a major portion of their teaching in Dentistry will also be considered. A maximum of $10,000 is available to successful applicants for seed money, one-time requests, and projects of short duration.
2019/20 Competition is now closed
Application Form > Submit to Dentistry.Research@schulich.uwo.ca
Please complete all sections of the application form, following the page and size restrictions for each section. Incomplete applications will be returned to applicant.
Deadline for submission: December 20, 2019 - late applications will not be accepted
Past Award Winners
- The principal applicant must be a regular, full-time faculty member of Schulich Dentistry. Faculty members who are cross-appointed with a major portion of their teaching in Dentistry will also be considered.
- Applicants who currently hold research grants as PI, contracts or internal funds (including start-up funds) totaling more than $15,000 a year are ineligible to apply.
- Requests for funds to supplement existing operating or research grants, to augment funds for larger projects, or to attend workshops or training programs will not be accepted.
- Applications from the same applicant will not be funded for the same project beyond two consecutive years.
- Applicants re-applying after the first year of funding must provide a progress report of their research, including evidence of grant applied for and list of publications resulting from the IRG funding received previously
- Preference will be given to those clinical faculty members striving to get new research programs established.
Guidelines for Projects: A faculty member may submit only one application per year. The project can be on any topic relevant to oral health or dental education, including biomedical, materials, clinical, health services, population health or educational research. Applications should provide a detailed budget that justifies the planned expenditures. Purchase of equipment costing more than $2,000 in total will not normally be allowed.
Schulich Dentistry 2018/19 IRG (Internal Research Grant) Competition Results
Congratulations to Dr. Christina McCord who was awarded a Schulich Dentistry IRG of $5,000.
Dr. Christina McCord, Assistant Professor, Oral Pathology & Oral Medicine
Co-investigators: Drs. Zia Khan and Henry Lapointe
‘Characterization of Human Papillomavirus Associated Oral Epithelial Dysplasia’
2017 Competition Results
Congratulations to Drs. Les Kalman and Harinder Sandhu, Clinician Scientists, who were each awarded a Schulich Dentistry IRG of $10,000 each.
Assistant Professor, Restorative Dentistry
Chair, Dental Outreach Community Service (DOCS)
‘Development & Assessment of a Dental Shade App and Peripherals with Dental Students’
Dr. Harinder Sandhu
Chair and Professor, Periodontics
Co-investigators: Drs. Roman Maev and Bartosz Slak (Windsor)
‘Clinical Evaluation of an Ultrasonic Dental Device for Gingival Thickness Assessment’
Abstract: Presently there is no objective, non-invasive technique available to assess the quality and quantity of soft and hard tissues in the oral cavity. Our collaborators at The University of Windsor have developed a novel compact device to address the clinical need for soft tissue measurements. We propose to clinically assess and evaluate this device prototype for non-invasive measurements of gingival thickness in dental patients treated at Schulich Dentistry. It is believed that the proposed device can considerably improve diagnosis and treatment of patients requiring periodontal intervention.