Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program
The Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario Faculty of Graduate Studies and The University of Western Ontario affiliated teaching Hospitals are pleased to invite applications to the residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The program commences on the first of July each year and is of six years duration. One candidate is selected per year.
Candidates for this program must possess a DDS or DMD degree from a CDAC accredited university. The MCAT is not required. The program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is designed to provide candidates with a comprehensive background for the practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery as a specialty, as well as to prepare them for examinations by the Royal College of Dentists in Canada. The program is six years in duration and is a combined MD/MSc degree program. Acceptance into the program includes acceptance into the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, medical and graduate studies programs. This program is based out of the London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care, in London, Ontario. Residents will also rotate through the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry affiliated hospitals in Windsor, Ontario.
The program includes extensive training in surgical correction of dentofacial deformities, maxillofacial trauma, maxillofacial pathology, maxillofacial reconstructive surgery, dentoalveolar surgery, implant surgery and ambulatory anesthesia. Each resident will attend the Medical program at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. An important part of the program is devoted to research. Residents will complete and defend an original research project in fulfillment of requirements for a Master of Science degree in Pathology.
A completed application package includes:
- Completed application form
- University transcripts (Dental School only)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of reference
- Personal statement / letter of intention (150 words or less)
- Application fee of $75 payable by certified cheque payable to the University of Western Ontario
- Graduate of a CDAC Accredited Dental School (in Canada or the U.S.)
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- Eligible for licensure in dentistry in the province of Ontario
- NDEB certification www.ndeb.ca/
- For admission to the program starting July 1, applications are invited immediately and up to the deadline of August 31 of the previous year.
The Candidates will be selected for interviews on the basis of:
- GPA of 3.75 or above, or standing in top 10% of dental school class
- Evaluation of references.
- Evaluation of personal letter of intent (150 words or less).
- Evaluation of CV
Notification of interviews for Residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery will be held the last two weeks of October 2011 and the first two weeks of November 2011. Both the applicants and programs will notify the match system of their sequence of choices by November 22, 2011. The Applicants will be notified by the programs on November 26, 2011 and require a commitment, in writing to accept or refuse the offer within 72 hours.
- Acceptance of a candidate will include acceptance into the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program, Medical School (starting in the second year of the OMFS program) and acceptance into Graduate Studies. Acceptance into the residency, Medical School and Graduate Studies are not separate processes.
- The successful candidate will be required to begin an orientation program beginning the second last week of June.
Office of the Director
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
Phone: (519) 685-8500 x 32110 Fax: (519) 661-3875