Dr. Homer Yang
Dr. Homer Yang
Department Chair and Chief
Dr. Yang has made important contributions to the speciality of anesthesia throughout his career. Before taking on the role of chair-chief at Schulich Medicine & Dentistry, he served as the Chair of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at the University of Ottawa, and was the inaugural Director of Professionalism in the Faculty of Medicine there.
His accolades include a long list of teaching awards and recognitions including being elected the Best Clinical Teacher by Anesthesia Residents at McMaster University from 1987-1990, and 1992 and 1993; the RA Gordon Award from the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society in 1997; Mentor of the Year from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2012; and the Clinical Teacher Award from the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society in recognition for exemplary teaching and contributions to Anesthesia education in 2014. In 2018, Dr. Yang was recognized with the Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society (CAS) Gold Medal Award.
He is also recognized for pioneering the Postoperative Home Monitoring Program at the Ottawa Hospital, and also for his work as Chief examiner of the Royal College’s Oral Examination Board, where he and his team evolved the Objective Structured Clinical Examination format for anesthesia.
Excerpted from Schulich Communications.
Yang H, Dervin G, Madden S, Fayad A, Beaulé P, Gagné S, Crossan ML, Wheeler K, Afagh M, Zhang T, Taljaard M. Postoperative Home Monitoring After Joint Replacement: A Retrospective Outcome Study Comparing Cases With Matched Historical Controls. JMIR Perioperative Medicine. Vol 1, No 2 (2018): Jul-Dec.
- Yang H, Dervin G, Madden S, Beaulé PE, Gagné S, Crossan ML, Fayad A, Wheeler K, Afagh M, Zhang T, Taljaard M, Taljaard M. Postoperative Home Monitoring After Joint Replacement: Feasibility Study. JMIR Perioperative Medicine, 2018 Jun/Jul;1(2:e10168. https://doi.org/10.2196/10168
- McIsaac DI, Taljaard M, Bryson GL, Beaulé PE, Gagné S, Hamilton G, Hladkowicz E, Huang A, Joanisse JA, Lavallée LT, MacDonald D, Moloo H, Thavorn K, van Walraven C, Yang H, Forster A. Frailty as a Predictor of Death or New Disability After Surgery: A Prospective Cohort Study. Ann Surg. 2018 Jul 24. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002967. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barron CC, Lalu MM, Stewart DJ, Fergusson D, Yang H, Moher D, Liu P, Mazer D, Devereaux PJ, McIntyre L; Canadian Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group. Assessment of safety and efficacy of mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in preclinical models of acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review protocol. Syst Rev. 2017 Nov 7;6(1):226.
- McIsaac DI, Abdulla K, Yang H, Sundaresan S, Doering P, Vaswani SG, Thavorn K, Forster AJ. Association of delay of urgent or emergency surgery with mortality and use of health care resources: a propensity score-matched observational cohort study. CMAJ. 2017 Jul 10;189(27):E905-E912.
- Alonso-Coello P, Cook D, Xu SC, Sigamani A, Berwanger O, Sivakumaran S, Yang H, Xavier D, Martinez LX, Ibarra P, Rao-Melacini P, Pogue J, Zarnke K, Paniagua P, Ostrander J, Yusuf S, Devereaux PJ; POISE Investigators. Predictors, Prognosis, and Management of New Clinically Important Atrial Fibrillation After Noncardiac Surgery: A Prospective Cohort Study. Anesth Analg. 2017 Jul;125(1):162-169.
- Yang H. Professionalism in anesthesia. Can J Anaesth. 2017 Feb;64(2):149-157.
- Yang H, Fayad A, Chaput A, Oake S, Chan AD, Crossan ML. Postoperative real-time electrocardiography monitoring detects myocardial ischemia: a case report. Can J Anaesth. 2017-01-13;64(4):411-415. doi: 10.1007/s12630-017-0817-0. Epub 2017 Jan 11.
- McIsaac DI, Taljaard M, Bryson GL, Beaule PE, Gagne S, Hamilton G, Hladkowicz E, Huang A, Joanisse J, Lavallée LT, Moloo H, Thavorn K, van Walraven C, Yang H, Forster AJ. Comparative assessment of two frailty instruments for risk-stratification in elderly surgical patients: study protocol for a prospective cohort study. BMC Anesthesiol. 2016 Nov;16(1):111.