COVID-19 Update #6 – March 24
This is the sixth update to the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community.
This update includes information about:
Student financial assistance
MD Program Distributed Education summer electives
Extension of closures for Schulich Dentistry
Information about core or elective rotations for residents
Resident peer support groups
How to donate PPE
Department of Psychiatry tool kit of resources for coping with COVID-19
Students requiring financial assistance
- The communication update on March 24, regarding financial assistance was applicable to undergraduate Doctor of Medicine (MD Program) students due to the later end date of their academic year - and relates to unforeseen financial need resulting from a change in circumstances related to COVID-19.
- If you are an undergraduate medical student with a change in your circumstances, please be specific in outlining the change in circumstances that has now resulted in additional financial need in your email to the Financial Aid Office. If you have already worked with a specific counsellor during this academic year, please email them directly. Otherwise, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your message will be directed appropriately.
- Other undergraduate students (BMSc, Neuroscience, Dentistry) with emergency financial need or circumstances that have changed due to COVID-19 and resulted in unforeseen financial need may also identify themselves to the Financial Aid Office.
MD Program summer electives
- Summer research in the region supported through Distributed Education/summer electives, Indigenous MedLINCs, and Discovery Healthcare Camps may be cancelled pending further information from local health authorities. It is understandable that community partners, faculty or students may wish to voluntarily withdraw their commitment at this time given the ongoing situation. Please contact the Distributed Education Office if you wish to withdraw your commitment.
Schulich Dentistry closures extended to May 4
- Effective March 24, the closure of all Schulich Dentistry clinics has been extended until at least May 4. This includes the Urgent Care Clinic, DSCU, Graduate Orthodontic Clinic, Paediatric Clinic, Hygiene Clinics, Multi-Function Clinic, DOCS program, the Main Adult Clinic and the Simulation Laboratory.
- Arrangements have been made to provide access to care for dental emergencies at practices in the London community.
- Card access to the Schulich Dentistry clinics has been deactivated and students will not be able to access these spaces during the closure. Online lectures will continue as planned.
- Schulich Dentistry is engaging in ongoing discussions with the University and the Middlesex-London Health Unit to evaluate our operations. Communication will continue to be provided as more information becomes available.
Core or elective rotations for residents - Rotations 11, 12, 13
- All core rotations will continue as currently scheduled providing the accepting site has capacity for learners, including PPE availability if it is required by a learner.
- All elective rotations within the Schulich/Western/Windsor and Distributed Education Network will continue as scheduled providing the sites have capacity for learners, including PPE availability if it is required by a learner.
- Elective rotations outside of Schulich/Western/Windsor and the Distributed Education Network will be postponed until further notice.
Resident peer support groups
- A Zoom meeting for resident doctors across Canada to provide peer support and discuss coping amidst the COVID crisis has been established in collaboration with the Ontario Medical Association and the Ontario Psychiatric Association. This group meeting is not intended to provide counselling, psychotherapy, or mental health treatment. Discussion will be focused on coping in the context of COVID-19 with the goal of providing social support, particularly for those residents in isolation.
- The group will be co-facilitated by psychiatrists Drs. Javeed Sukhera and Maryna Mammoliti. Contact email@example.com if you are interested in more details.
- Three sessions have been planned from 9:00 – 10:00 p.m. on March 25, April 1 and April 8.
Zoom details for March 25:
Topic: Peer Support for Residents
Time: March 25, 2020 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 283 540 974
One tap mobile
Dial by your location
+1 647 558 0588 Canada; Meeting ID: 283 540 974
Donations of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Do you have extra PPE supplies that you are able to donate to London’s hospitals? Please contact Rick Gibson by email with the details using an excel document. Visit the COVID-19 Resources page for more details about information required regarding your donation. Rick will then coordinate the donation of the supplies to the hospitals based on their current needs.
- Send information by March 27.
- Supplies now needed include N95 masks (or other masks such as N99, N100, p95, p99, p100 or r95, r99, r100), surgical masks, gowns, gloves, eye protection and face shields.
Coping with COVID-19
- The Department of Psychiatry has curated a list of resources for people looking for support during the ongoing pandemic. Visit their website to access the information.
Please send ALL communication related to the COVID-19 pandemic that you need to be shared with the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community for faculty, staff, students, learners, trainees and fellows to Jennifer Parraga. The information will be compiled and shared with the School.