COVID-19 Update #4 - March 20 - Technology Support, Absence Tracking & Building Access
This is the fourth update to the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community.
In an effort to streamline communication during the COVID-19 pandemic, updates will be shared on a regular basis. Efforts will be made to send the updates at the same time each day. At this point, plans are for updates to be shared at approximately 12:30 p.m. and/or 5:00 p.m. Times and frequency will be reviewed and reassessed on an ongoing basis.
You can now access all these updates online. You can also continue to access the Travel, Education and Visitor Policy and the status of our education and research programs online.
- Schulich Medicine & Dentistry’s Information Services (IS) team has established a web page that includes a list of considerations and supports for working virtually. Visit their website to find answers to your questions on telephone forwarding, storage, messaging etc.
- IS is working virtually, however, staff are available Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. by email, phone or screen sharing.
- If you need assistance from IS, please create a Service Desk ticket, which can be accessed online: servicedesk.schulich.uwo.ca; or call 519.661.2111, ext. 81377 and leave a voicemail.
Tracking Employee Absence During the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
- A new Absence Notification tool on Western's My Human Resources is now active and ready for use. It is designed to provide the University with the vital information to track and monitor unanticipated absences from scheduled work during the current COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) outbreak. A newly adopted policy requires all faculty and staff members (including part-time, contract, postdoctoral fellows, Graduate Teaching Assistants and student employees) to report each day of an unanticipated absence using the tool.
- The tool, and monitoring of absence rates will allow Western to support the important work of the Middlesex-London Health Unit and other government agencies in identifying and treating possible COVID-19 novel coronavirus cases; keep the University community safe and informed; and monitor our capacity to continue operations should absence rates escalate.
- Please ensure your teams are using the tool.
- A signage template is now available for you to post to indicate your changed office hours or to provide information that your office is operating virtually. You can download the sign from the School’s website.
Securing Campus Buildings
- In an effort to support of the safety and security of students, staff, faculty and property of the University, changes have been made to access to buildings and food service operations. Effective March 19, all buildings will be locked at 6:00 p.m. If you require access to School buildings, you will still have card access.
Campus Police has provided a list of spaces that aren’t affected by this new measure.
- UCC: will be unlocked Monday to Friday at 7:00 a.m. to allow Food Services staff to open facilities operating in the building and allow access to persons on campus. UCC is also a designated study room building and therefore will remain open until 8:00 p.m., at which time the perimeter doors will be locked. There are no food service operations on Saturday and Sunday. As a result, UCC will be open from 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. for study room access on weekend days.
- Somerville House: will be unlocked daily at 7:00 a.m. to allow Food Services staff to open facilities operating in the building and allow access to persons on campus. Somerville House is also a designated study room building and therefore will remain open until 8:00 p.m., at which time the perimeter doors will be locked. There are no food service operations on Saturday and Sunday. As a result, Somerville House will be open from 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. for study room access on weekend days.
- Natural Sciences Building: will be unlocked daily at 7:00 a.m. to allow Food Services staff to open facilities operating in the building and allow access to persons on campus. Natural Sciences will be locked at 3:00 p.m. to correspond with the closure of the food services operations.
- University College: will be unlocked daily from 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. for study room access.
North Campus Building: will be unlocked daily from 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. for study room access.
Support Services Building: will be unlocked Monday – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. to allow access to operations contained within.
- Western Student Services Building: will be unlocked Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. to allow access to services contained within.
- AHB-IGAB: only the north entrance will be open from Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Visit Western’s COVID-19 Facilities page to keep up to date on closures.
Sharing Your COVID-19 Communication
- Please send ALL communication related to the COVID-19 pandemic that you need to be shared with the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community for faculty, staff, students, learners, trainees and fellows to Jennifer Parraga. The information will be compiled and shared with the School.