COVID-19 Update #3 - March 19 - MD Program, LEW Office, Discovery Week & Research
This is the third update to the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community.
In an effort to streamline communication during the COVID-19 pandemic, updates will be shared on a regular basis. Efforts will be made to send the updates at the same time each day. At this point, plans are for updates to be shared at approximately 12:30 p.m. and/or 5:00 p.m. Times and frequency will be reviewed and reassessed on an ongoing basis.
With this in mind, please send ALL communication related to the COVID-19 pandemic that you need to be shared with the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry community for faculty, staff, students, learners, trainees and fellows to Jennifer Parraga . The information will be compiled and shared with the School.
We will be creating a website expected to be live on March 20, where all updates will be posted.
Learner Equity & Wellness (LEW) Office
- The Learner Equity & Wellness Office is now operating virtually.
- The LEW team appreciates that this is a stressful time and wishes to reassure all students and residents that although they are not on site, the LEW Office remains accessible.
- Counselling appointments will be offered via Zoom, phone or Skype.
- Phone: 519.661.4234 (London); 519.253.3000, ext. 4302 (Windsor).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (London); email@example.com (Windsor).
Doctor of Medicine (MD) Program
Year 1 and 2
Effective March 23, 2020, courses will use online learning to facilitate large and small group learning.
Large group learning will use pre-recorded lectures, facilitated using online discussion boards.
Small group learning will use Zoom for faculty facilitated sessions and other sessions will be student-led resulting in a group submission that will be assessed.
Anatomy learning will use online virtual anatomy resources and pre-recorded lectures.
Completion of project-based learning (i.e. Research and QI) will continue online.
Patient Centred Clinical Methods will be adapted by implementing the following: deferral of specific topics into the next academic year; and creation of new cases to use in small group sessions.
Assessments will be completed online.
Clerkship remains on hold. The national UME decanal committee continues to work collaboratively on a national process that addresses clerkship and electives.
- Discovery Week for May/June 2020 will be cancelled. Even when COVID-19 safety restrictions are lifted, the aftermath period will be a time of recovery and recuperation and will pose a challenge for our communities.
- We remain committed to ensuring students have ample opportunities to experience what kind of rich experiences are available in our regional communities. Once experiential learning opportunities are permitted again, we will be able to plan other opportunities for those students who remain interested.
- Western Research is providing regular updates regarding processes and maintenance of lab duties. This information is posted online. An update was provided today regarding suggested actions for currently approved research involving humans.
- If you have any questions about the Travel, Education and Visitor Policy, you can access it online.