Provincial state of emergency update for faculty and staff - January 13
Dear faculty and staff,
Yesterday (January 12, 2021), the provincial government declared a state of emergency and will be imposing a stay-at-home order as of Thursday, January 14 at 12:01 a.m. The province has revised its “Enhancing Public Health and Workplace Safety Measures in the Province wide Shutdown" document to reflect this state of emergency.
Upon reviewing these revisions, Western University has determined that the operating model instituted at Western effective December 22 meets with all provincial requirements.
All employees should work from home if the nature of their work does not require them to be on campus. If you have any questions about your individual needs, please contact your leader.
The existing plan for Schulich Medicine & Dentistry’s research and education programs will continue, with few exceptions. Any changes will be directly communicated to students from their Programs.
To be specific:
- Research will continue and labs will be open for faculty, staff and learners who have been accessing their labs to date.
- BMSc/Neuroscience undergraduate students will continue online classes as they have to date and those involved with on-campus research projects will continue.
- In-person learning for graduate studies students will continue.
- Year 1 – 4 Undergraduate Medical Education learners will receive more information from the Vice Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education Office in the next 24 hours.
- Year 1 – 4 Dentistry learners will receive more information from the Vice Dean and Directors Office later today related to their plans.
- Postgraduate medical and dental learners will continue with their clinical learning on campus and at the hospitals.
- Urgent Care Dental Clinic remains open.
All faculty, staff and learners are reminded to follow safety measures at all times. Details are available online.
Thank you for your continued support and commitment to the School. It’s greatly appreciated.
Students will receive an email later this afternoon with similar information.
You can read Western’s statement about the state of emergency and operating model on the COVID-19 website.
John Yoo, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Dean, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry