the deadline for the NSERC USRA competition for Schulich, has passed. Applicants will receive notification of their status mid-February
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA)
Information on submitting USRA applications through the
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
for Summer 2013 awards
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) enable undergraduate students to gain research experience under the supervision of a faculty member who holds an active NSERC award.
The award stipend provided by NSERC is $4500 for 16 weeks of work. In addition, students receive a minimum 25% supplement provided from other sources.
Deadline for applications in the
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry:
Monday, January 14th, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
To apply for an NSERC USRA through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry:
- Consult the website of Western's Office of Research & Development Services (http://www.uwo.ca/research/funding/student/index.html)
- For USRA application guidelines and FAQs, and see the NSERC website (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp) for information on eligibility criteria and program requirements.
- Students should read the relevant department and faculty members’ websites (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/) for information on areas of research. This will help students to identify the appropriate faculty members as supervisors for their USRA research work.
Contact suitable faculty members to discuss possible summer projects. A list of eligible faculty members within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry will be available from Vicki VanStrien in the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Room RRI Suite 1240, or Joan Estabrooks, MSB 138as of FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9th, after 1:00. This list will not be available online.
- The Schulich NSERC USRA competition requests completion of this supplemental form to inform the adjudication panel for these awards.
- For Schulich's Summer 2013 USRA competition, eligible Schulich supervisors may submit applications with only ONE student.
- Preference is given to 2nd and 3rd year students.
- When a student and a faculty member reach agreement on a possible summer project:
- The student must login or register at NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm)
- The student must complete Form 202 Part I online.
- The student should print and complete the stipend form found at http://www.uwo.ca/research/docs/programs/undergrad-stipend.pdf . The faculty member with whom they are applying should sign this and fill it it. There is no need for any other signature on the stipend form, except your supervisor’s.
- The student should print and complete the permission to access academic records form: (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/research/residentsstudentspdfs/files/Unfiled/USRA_2012_AccessAcademicRecords_1.doc?dl=1)
- The faculty member should login or register at NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm) and complete Form 202 Part II online.
- Please make sure you use the current version of Form 202, which is available on the NSERC website.
- Submit the Stipend Supplement Form to the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, RRI 1240, prior to the deadline of January 14.
Do not submit any additional materials with your application. Any additional materials will be discarded.
Applicants must use the online forms available on the NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm).
Recipients of these awards are expected to be selected by early March 2013.
NSERC video tutorial on applying for USRA: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Videos-Videos/usra-brpct_eng.asp
Powerpoint from Research Services and Development (shown at the November 2nd talk): https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/research/residentsstudentspdfs/files/Unfiled
For additional information, contact Vicki VanStrien at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Room RRI 1240 through 519.661.2111 ext. 87908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
**To find Vicki in the Research Office:**
Come into Robarts in the main entrance, and tell security you are looking for Vicki. You will be directed to the Research Office.
Updated on 8-November, 2012