NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA)
Information on submitting USRA applications through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry for the 2014 awards is currently available.
Please see below for more information and details on how to apply.
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) enable undergraduate students to gain research experience under the supervision of a faculty member who holds an active NSERC award.
The award stipend provided by NSERC is $4500 for 16 weeks of work. In addition, students receive a minimum 25% supplement provided from other sources.
Deadline for 2014 USRA applications submitted to the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry: FRIDAY, JANUARY 24TH AT 4:00PM
To apply for an NSERC USRA through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry:
- Consult the website of Western's Office of Research & Development Services (http://www.uwo.ca/research/funding/students/index.html )
- For USRA application guidelines and FAQs, and see the NSERC website (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp ) for information on eligibility criteria and program requirements.
- Students should read the relevant department and faculty members’ websites (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/) for information on areas of research. This will help students to identify the appropriate faculty members as supervisors for their USRA research work.
- Contact suitable faculty members to discuss possible summer projects. A list of eligible faculty members within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry will be available from Mariel Angus, Administrative Assistant at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Room RRI Suite 1240, or Joan Estabrooks, MSB 138 in November 2013. This list will not be available online.
- The Schulich NSERC USRA competition requests completion of this supplemental form to inform the adjudication panel for these awards.
- When a student and a faculty member reach agreement on a possible summer project:
- The student must login or register at NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm)
- The student must complete Form 202 Part I online.
- The student should print and complete this Stipend Form. The faculty member with whom they are applying should sign this and fill it in. There is no need for any other signature on the stipend form, except your supervisor’s.
- The student should print and complete the permission to access academic records form: (https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/research/residentsstudentspdfs/files/Unfiled/USRA_2012_AccessAcademicRecords_1.doc?dl=1)
- The faculty member should login or register at NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm) and complete Form 202 Part II online.
- Please make sure you use the current version of Form 202, which is available on the NSERC website.
- Submit the Stipend Supplement Form to the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, RRI 1240, prior to the deadline of Friday, January 24th at 4:00pm.
Note: Please confirm the address of the Research Office prior to submitting your form, as our office is expected to move its location in Winter 2014. Please contact Mariel Angus, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com to confirm.
Do not submit any additional materials with your application. Any additional materials will be discarded.
Applicants must use the online forms available on the NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm).
Recipients of these awards are expected to be selected by early March 2014.
- For Schulich's Summer 2014 USRA competition, eligible Schulich supervisors may submit applications with only ONE student. Please confirm that your supervisor is aware of this.
- Preference is given to 2nd and 3rd year students.
NSERC video tutorial on applying for USRA: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Videos-Videos/usra-brpct_eng.asp
For the powerpoint presentation provided Western Research Development & Services at the November 2013 information session on NSERC USRA, please visit: https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/research/residentsstudentspdfs/schulich-nserc-usra-competition/files/Unfiled/USRA%20Presentation_November%202013.pdf?dl=1&iframe=1
For additional information, contact the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Room RRI 1240, at 519.661.2111 ext. 87908 or email Mariel Angus, Administrative Assistant with the Research Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**The Schulich Research Offices is located in the Robarts Research Institute, room 1240. Enter Robarts through the main entrance, and tell security you are looking for the Research Office.