Schulich school of Medicine and Dentistry logo Microbiology & Immunology Schulich Medicine & Dentistry

History

History of the Department

The Department originated as the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology in the Faculty of Medicine at Western University when the University was located on South Street.

Its primary focus was to teach medical students and provide a diagnostic bacteriology service for nearby Victoria Hospital and the War Memorial Children's Hospital, which was previously a function of the Department of Pathology. A research presence in the Faculty of Graduate Studies was developed, and after the Faculty of Medicine moved to the University Campus in 1955, the Department expanded its teaching responsibilities by starting a BSc Honors program in Bacteriology and Immunology, as well as offering basic courses in association with the Faculties of Science, Dentistry, and Nursing.

The Department has a strong presence within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, and is proud of its history and achievements during the past 75 years.