for First & Second Year Medical Students
(Optional Clinical Placements)
~ Registration Opens: Monday, September 30, 2013~ *please note change in date due to labour stoppage in Windsor*
~ Registration Closes: Friday, May 23, 2014~
~ Information Session: September 17, 2013, 11:20 am M146 (VC to Windsor) ~
Objective: To explore career opportunities in the community during the Academic Year: September 30, 2013 until May 31, 2013
*Observership placements starting prior to September 30th or occuring after May 31st will not be approved.
The student shall maintain the standard of ethical behavior as laid down by the CMA code of ethics located at www.cma.ca.
Guidelines for Observerships:
- Observerships must be done within Canada. Students are not, under any circumstances, permitted to complete these placements outside of the country.
- Preceptors must be a licensed and registered medical practitioner.
- Observerships may only take place outside of class time, during the academic year. (Observership placements not permitted after May 31st)
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry defers to the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) policy regarding the role of the observer:
"An Observer is not permitted, in any circumstances, to provide any patient care. This prohibition includes but is not limited to
• taking a medical history,
• conducting physical examinations,
• diagnosing or treating patient’s condition,
• ordering, preparing or administering drugs,
• documenting on patients’ health records, either in electronic or hard copy format,
• having independent access to health records, either in electronic or hard copy format,
• performing or assisting in surgical procedures, or diagnostic patient interventions,
• obtaining consent,
• interacting directly with patient/SDM,
• providing health care advice.”
It will be the responsibility of the preceptor to supervise the student in regard to all patient interactions.
- All Clinical Observerships MUST be registered through SINGLE SIGN ON and approved PRIOR to your Observership taking place.
- A copy of this letter will be sent to all preceptors.
Prior to the Observership
Please Note: All Students who arranged Observerships in London must complete the LHSC Training Modules PRIOR to the start date of their first Observership. Training Modules can be found on Single Sign On.
- Complete, sign, and return the Student Declaration Form. You can bring the signed copy to the Registration Coordinator in M110 or scan it and email it to registrationUME@schulich.uwo.ca. YOU MAY NOT PROCEED WITH YOUR OBSERVERSHIP UNTIL WE RECEIVE THIS DOCUMENT.
- All students arrange Observerships/placements with a supervisor his/herself. This Observership may only take place outside of class time during the academic year. A list of Schulich Faculty who are available for Clinical Observerships has been created to assist you with this process. (please note that this is student-managed and was not created by the UME Office). A letter of explanation can be printed for potential supervisors who wish to have further information about Schulich Observerships.
- The student must notify the Undergraduate Medical Education Office. This is done by filling out an Observership Form through Single Sign On. Once your form has been submitted you will be able to view your pending Observerships under the “View Observerships” tab. Once submitted your Observership status under the "Approved" tab" will show as "Pending".
- The Undergraduate Medical Education Office must review your Observership prior to your participation. Please ensure that you allow adequate time (not less than 48 hours prior) for our office to review and process your arranged Observership. Observerships that will take place over a weekend or holiday must be submitted the Thursday prior in order to ensure that it will be reviewed.
- Once your Observership Form is submitted on Single Sign On, an email is generated to your preceptor or preceptors contact confirming the Observership details.
- Ensure that you have completed the required LHSC online modules as requested at the beginning of Year 1. If you have any trouble with the module please contact Medical Affairs at 519.685.8500 ext. 75125.
- Once your "Approved" tab states "Yes" please attend your Observership as arranged.
Following the Observership
- If you find that the number of hours spent in your observership differs than what you originally submitted please be sure to go in and modify your Observership. This can be done by logging back into Observerships through Single Sign-On and choosing the “Modify Observership” tab under “My Observerships.” This will prompt an email to Undergraduate Medical Education Office, who will make the requested change. Modifications can be done prior to, or after your Observership.
- Preceptors who are affiliated with Schulich are able to credit their Observership hours as "teaching hours". The hours are automatically recorded in Single Sign On for your Preceptor. Preceptors are able to modify their hours by filling out a Preceptor Reporting Form.
London students with questions regarding Clinical Observerships can direct their questions to the UME Registration Coordinator at: email@example.com
Students need to fill out an [Observership Request Form] located at the link below. Windsor staff will follow up on the request and be in contact with students with availability on an individual basis. http://www.uwindsor.ca/medicine/links-for-schulich-medical-undergraduate-students
Windsor students with questions regarding Clinical Observerships can contact:
Year 1 Christine Mackie firstname.lastname@example.org
Year 2 - Christine Gignac email@example.com
The revised Workplace Educational Placement Agreement (WEPA) Form has been replaced by the Postsecondary Student Unpaid Work Placement Workplace Insurance Claim Form. The new form has been posted on the Ministry’s public website. Should you have an incident during your observership the placement coordinator will complete this form and send it to registrationUME@schulich.uwo.ca.