for First & Second Year Medical Students
(Optional Clinical Placements)
~ Registration Opens: Monday, September 24, 2012~
Objective: To explore career opportunities in the community beginning September 24, 2012 until May 31, 2013 (Observership placements during exam June 1-7, will not be approved)
The student shall maintain the standard of ethical behavior as laid down by the CMA code of ethics located at www.cma.ca.
Guidelines for Observerships:
- Observerships must be done within Canada. Students are not, under any circumstances, permitted to complete these placements outside of the country.
- Preceptors must be a licensed and registered medical practitioner.
- Observerships may only take place outside of class time, during the academic year. (Observership placements not permitted after June 7th)
- An Observer is not permitted, under any circumstances, to provide any patient care without supervision. It will be the responsibility of the preceptor to supervise the student in regard to all patient interactions. Delegation of medical procedures to the student will be the responsibility of and at the discretion of the preceptor.
- All Clinical Observerships MUST be registered through SINGLE SIGN ON and approved PRIOR to your Observership taking place.
Process for London Students
Prior to the Observership
Please Note: All Students who arranged Observerships in London must complete the LHSC Training Modules PRIOR to the start date of their first Observership. Training Modules can be found on Single Sign On.
- All students arrange Observerships/placements with a supervisor his/herself. This Observership may only take place outside of class time during the academic year. A list of Schulich Faculty who are available for Clinical Observerships has been created to assist you with this process. To obtain this list please see your class council member. A letter of explanation can be printed for potential supervisors who wish to have further information about Schulich Observerships.
- The student must notify the Undergraduate Medical Education Office. This is done by filling out an Observership Form through Single Sign On. Please fill out the form in its entirety and submit. Once your form has been submitted you will be able to view your pending Observerships under the “View Observerships” tab. Once submitted your Observership status under the "Approved" tab" will show as "Pending".
- The Undergraduate Medical Education Office must review your Observership prior to your participation. Please ensure that you allow adequate time (not less than 48 hours prior) for our office to review and process your arranged Observership. Observerships that will take place over a weekend or holiday must be submitted the Thursday prior in order to ensure that it will be reviewed.
- Once your Observership Form is submitted on Single Sign On, an email is generated to your preceptor or preceptors contact confirming the Observership details.
- Once your "Approved" tab states "Yes" please attend your Observership as arranged.
Following the Observership
- If you find that the number of hours spent in your observership differs than what you originally submitted please be sure to go in and modify your Observership. This can be done by logging back into Observerships through Single Sign-On and choosing the “Modify Observership” tab under “My Observerships.” This will prompt an email to Undergraduate Medical Education Office, who will make the requested change. Modifications can be done prior to, or after your Observership.
- Preceptors who are affiliated with Schulich are able to credit their Observership hours as "teaching hours". The hours are automatically recorded in Single Sign On for your Preceptor. Preceptors are able to modify their hours by filling out a Preceptor Reporting Form.
London students with questions regarding Clinical Observerships can direct their questions to the UME Registration Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students need to fill out an [Observership Request Form] located at the link below. Windsor staff will follow up on the request and be in contact with students with availability on an individual basis. http://www.uwindsor.ca/medicine/links-for-schulich-medical-undergraduate-students
Windsor students with questions regarding Clinical Observerships can contact:
Year 1 Christine Mackie email@example.com
Year 2 - Christine Gignac firstname.lastname@example.org
Reporting injuries during Observerships & Required Forms: https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/year3/the-london-clerkship-program/files/Linked/Workplace%20Injuries.pdf