Oberverships arranged via student Mentorship Programs can not be registered in Single Sign-on, and are not approved observerships through the Undergraduate Medical Education Office.
To explore career opportunities in the community during the Academic Year
*Observership placements starting prior to September 30th or registered after June 9th will not be approved. For information about summer opportunities please see MED5010: Non-credit Pre-clerkship Summer Electives (NPSE).
Note: Before registering, students must review important information.
What is an Observership?
Observerships are voluntary opportunities which students may pursue outside all scheduled learning during Year 1 and 2.
- Curriculum will always take priority.
- In order to participate in the Observership Program, students must maintain a grade level above 65% and may not have unapproved absences from mandatory sessions on their student record.
- Absence from *any* official curriculum-based learning (including lectures, small groups, labs, large group discussions, etc.) to attend an observership is not approved under any circumstances.
- If a student misses a scheduled learning session to attend an Observership, permission to participate in future Observerships may be revoked at the discretion of the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Students may participate in an observership outside of all academic engagements during the academic year, based on capacity and availability of preceptors. At no time will an approved absence be given to facilitate an observership.
- The UME Office does not guarantee that observerships will be arranged or that any number of observerships can be obtained by every student.
Responsibilities of the health professional
- Supervise students in all regard to all patient interactions
- Ensure student and patient safety
- Assume legal responsibility for student conduct
- Approved Year 1 and 2 students are covered under Western University’s general and professional liability insurance
- Provide teaching where possible about your practice
Please review the Statement on Observerships.
Please NOTE: Our Schulich M.D. students have already met the online training and helath requirements and as such, we do not require the students to complete any of the Medical Affairs Observership Appendices. It is important, however, that preceptors be made aware of this policy outline.