Schulich school of Medicine and Dentistry logo Dentistry Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

International Applicants

Admission Requirements for International Students

A limited number of positions in the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) Program are available for international students who must satisfy the same requirements as the national applicants as well as demonstrate English language proficiency. Please visit Admission Requirements for further details about scholastic records, Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) results and interview requirements.

English Language Proficiency

If one is new to the English language or has not had any postsecondary education taught in English, please make arrangements to write any of the tests listed below and have the official results sent directly to Western's Professional Admissions Office. Applicants are encouraged to write the test(s) at the earliest possible date, preferably before March for entry in September.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Test of Written English (TWE)

TOEFL (paper-based or computer-based) and TWE (paper-based) are offered on several dates and at a number of locations throughout the world. Information and registration material can be obtained by contacting:

TOEFL Services Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, New Jersey, USA 08541-6151
t. 877.863.3546

Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)

MELAB is an acceptable alternative to TOEFL. Information and registration material can be obtained by contacting:

English Testing Canada
455 Spadina Ave, Unit 401
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2G8
t. 416.946.3942

International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)

IELTS is an acceptable test offered in British Council Offices outside of Canada and the United States. Information and registration material can be obtained by contacting the nearest British Council Office or by contacting:

IELTS Liaison Officer
British Council
10 Spring Garden
London, England SW1A 2BN
t. 071.389.4031

Financial Responsibility

International students must assume primary responsibility for financing their education. The Ministry of Immigration requires ALL international students to prove that they have adequate resources before they may be admitted to Canada.

Scholarships and other forms of financial aid are very limited for international students. Consult the educational authorities in your own country, as well as the Canadian Consulate, to determine if sponsorship through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) is available. Commonwealth students may inquire about scholarships from the British Consulate. A bursary will normally be awarded only if there is evidence that circumstances have changed since your arrival in Canada. Information can be obtained through the Western International Office.

Immigration and Permission to Study in Canada

To obtain a visitor's visa to enter Canada and a student authorization granting permission to study in Canada, all non-Canadians must submit the following documents to a Canadian Consulate or Embassy outside Canada:

Note: A visitor's visa or student authorization will not be issued at the Canadian border or inside Canada. Upon arrival in Canada, both a visitor’s visa and a student authorization must be presented to border officials to gain entry. For more information on these policies, visit the Canadian Government website.

Western International

As part of the Western International Office, the International & Exchange Student Centre (IESC) offers year-round support services, programs and events for international students as well as their spouses and families. Programs and services include individual counselling, information and assistance with immigration and housing, academic skills training, and English conversation programs.

International students can take advantage of IESC's orientation and reception services, peer guide program, and a wide range of transition and social programs. Support is also offered for families of international students. For more information, contact or visit the IESC between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

University Health Insurance Plan

The Ontario Government's residential health care program is not available to international students. Western has arranged an insurance plan called the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for international students.

UHIP is compulsory for all international students who wish to attend Western University. When you are accepted to Western, the university will send you information about UHIP and an application that must be completed. The cost of purchasing UHIP for you and your eligible dependents is your responsibility, and is not included in tuition fees. For a single person, UHIP costs about $700 per year. Prices are subject to change.

In addition to UHIP, the University Student Council offers an undergraduate student health plan that covers up to 80% of medication costs, as well as other services not covered by UHIP.