The Dental Outreach and Community Service (DOCS) program enhances the dental student experience and provides free dental care to low income families who have no dental insurance.
It all started when after reading an article in his McGill University alumni newsletter, Dr. Ken Wright approached Dr. Harinder Sandhu, Director, Schulich Dentistry with the idea of starting an outreach program run by volunteer dentists, hygienists, assistants, and dental students to reach vulnerable population pockets within London, Ontario.
The Docs Program services five areas in London. Each of these regions is responsible for screening patients to determine that they:
- Do not have dental insurance
- They live within their catchment area or are members of their resource centre.
Patients are expected to fill out the Medical Questionnaire as part of their registration, and have signed the "Terms of Consent" on the back of the questionnaire.
Docs provide free dental care to clients of the five social agencies.
These services include: (free)
- Cleanings and Basic fillings
- Extractions and more difficult restorations are carried out at the Schulich School of Dentistry throughout the year by arrangement.
- It does NOT cover orthodontics, root canals, dentures and crowns -- they are not included in the treatment.
Services with Fees:
- People in Pain - Call their Dentist, or check with Yellow pages for dentists working unusual hours
- Try the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry Emergency Department (519 661-3331)
- Visit the nearest Hospital Emergency Department (519)
For routine dental work they may apply to Schulich Dentistry.
The fees are lower than the Dental Association Fee Guide, and the service will require longer visits during the daytime.
- For people receiving O.D.S.P., dental services are provided by regular Dentists.
The Docs Program is NOT a Walk in Clinic. All patients must be screened by one of the agencies, who will then put the patients name on the list for treatment at one of the Doc clinics.
The Social Service Agencies served by DOCS and screen for patients are:
(Note: Patients calling outside the area do not qualify)
The Limberlost Chaplaincy
The Boys & Girls Club Of London
The Glencairn Community Resource Centre
The Southdale Chaplaincy
Salvation Army at Millbank/Southdale
Captain Gary O'Reilly
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Portable dental equipment donated to the program is brought into community centers once a month for three hours on a weekday evening. This is to address barriers to care (i.e. transportation, housing, language, finances, legal) that may otherwise prevent children and adults from receiving care.
The program is managed entirely by volunteer dentists and hygienists, Schulich dental staff and students, and Fanshawe's Hygiene program personnel and students. If you are interested in volunteering at an evening clinic session, please contact Dr. Ken Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org
Within one year of its inception, 246 appointments were made and over 150 patients were seen at twelve locations. "We hope this program will increase proper hygiene instruction, decrease caries (cavities) and increase the patient's dental IQ", said Dr. Ken Wright, Director, DOCS program.
The generosity of local organizations, foundations, corporations and individuals has provided seven portal set-ups (chair, stool, halogen lamp, water supply unit, suction, and high/slow speed drills), portable x-ray equipment, and even a truck to transport the equipment and supplies from UWO to program locations around London, Ontario. "This is a great opportunity for the people of London to receive the dental care they need, as well as provide a true learning experience for our students outside the walls of Schulich Dentistry," said Dr. Harinder Sandhu, Director, Schulich Dentistry.
* TENTATIVE * SCHEDULED CLINIC DATES 2012-2013
Consists of 16 evening clinics and 4 Saturday morning clinics
|1||2012 Sep 11||Tuesday||South London NR Ctr., 1119 Jalna Blvd. (519-686-8600)|
|2||2012 Sep 18||Tuesday||Crouch NR Ctr., 550 Hamilton Rd. (519-642-7026)|
|3||2012 Oct 02||Tuesday||Life Resource Ctr., 910 Huron St. (519-438-6788)|
|4||2012 Oct 16||Tuesday||Southdale/Salvation Army, Millbank at Southdale (519-685-2771)|
|A||2012 Oct 20||Saturday||Dental School|
|5||2012 Oct 30||Tuesday||Glen Cairn CR Ctr., 244 Adelaide St. S (519-668-2745)|
|6||2012 Nov 13||Tuesday||Limberlost, Trinity Presbyterian Chruch (519-472-3151)|
|B||2012 Nov 24||Saturday||Dental School|
|7||2012 Nov 27||Tuesday||Boys & Girls Club, 184 Horton St. (519-434-9114)|
|8||2013 Jan 08||Tuesday||South London NR Ctr. (519-686-8600)|
|9||2013 Jan 22||Tuesday||Crouch NR Ctr., 550 Hamilton Rd. (519-642-7026)|
|10||2013 Feb 05||Tuesday||Life Resource Ctr., 910 Huron St. (519-438-6788)|
|C||2013 Feb 09||Saturday||Dental School|
|11||2013 Feb 19||Tuesday||Southdale/Salvation Army, Millbank at Southdale (519-685-2771)|
|12||2013 Mar 19||Tuesday||Glen Cairn CR Ctr., 244 Adelaide St. S (519-668-2745)|
|13||2013 Mar 26||Tuesday||Limberlost, Trinity Presbyterian Chruch (519-472-3151)|
|D||2013 Apr 06||Saturday||Dental School|
|14||2013 Apr 9||Tuesday||Boys & Girls Club, 184 Horton St. (519-434-9114)|
|15||2013 Apr 23||Tuesday||South London NR Ctr. (519-686-8600)|
|16||2013 May 7||Tuesday||TBA|
|*** Clinics 1-16 are all on Tuesday evenings, Clinics A-D are Saturday mornings.***|
|Third Year component during Summer Clinic|
dates to be determined
DONORS & SUPPORTERS
The DOCS program is self-sustaining and relies on community and individual support. This program would not be possible without the generous gifts from the following DOCS Donors (2008-2009):
- Agape Foundation of London
- Clinical Research Dental Supplies & Services Inc.
- Dr. Kenneth and Jean Wright
- Dr. McKenzie
- First St. Andrews United Church
- Kiwanis Club of Forest City - London
- London & District Dental Hygiene Society
- London & District Dental Society
- Rotary Club of London Foundation
- The Kayser Family, a fund within The London Community Foundation
- The London Community Foundation
- The Plunkett Foundation
- The Sifton Family Foundation
- The Walter J. Blackburn Foundation
- University of Western Ontario Dental Student Society (UWODSS)