Forms and Templates
Accreditation of Live, Group Learning CME/CPD Activities
NEW! The National Standard for the accreditation of Mainpro+ and Maincert applications came into effect January 1, 2018.
Key changes under the National Standard include (but are not limited to):
- New Conflict of Interest Disclosure requirements
- A formal written agreement with sponsors (financial and in-kind)
- Submission of the sponsorship prospectus (if applicable)
- Submission of a summarized Needs Assessment (if one was completed)
Effective immediately all applications must comply with the new standard. All application forms and templates have been updated to meet the standard. Previous versions of these documents, including Conflict of Interest Disclosure forms, will not be accepted. To learn how the standard will impact your application, please read the following:
Application Forms - Please send either ONE or BOTH Application Forms depending on the target audience for your group learning event:
- Signed CFPC MainPro+ Application Form (credits for Family Physicians) for use by Schulich Medicine departments and institutional partners only.
We ask that you not use a previous application form as the basis for a new application since the requirements and the form have changed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the revised Mainpro+ form, process and fees.
- Signed RCPSC MAINCERT Section 1 (credits for Specialists) Application Form (Application)(Standards)
Special process for educational activities which include information on Medicinal Marijuana/Dried Cannabis:
A review process is in place to apply for MainPro+ credits for programs or presentations on topics related to medicinal marijuana/dried cannabis. Along with your MainPro+ application and supporting documents, please submit the following to our office:
a) Documentation that medical marijuana is a need and source of interest to your target audience.
For example – comments on summary evaluations/needs assessment.
b) Medical marijuana slide presentation
c) Medical marijuana slide presentation references
As this process includes both a review by our office and the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the process can take as long as 3 months and accreditation is not guaranteed, please plan accordingly. For more information, see Medical Marijuana Review Tool for Universities (PDF), January 2015 memo to CPD Providers (PDF), and CFPC Preliminary Guidance Document on Authorizing Dried Cannabis for Chronic Pain or Anxiety - September 2014. (PDF)
Effective February 27, 2017 - the CFPC has put a moratorium on the certification of presentations containing information on the subject of opioid prescribing and management until Health Canada releases a new Canadian clinical guideline in the next 6 to 8 weeks. More information
Supporting Documentation - Please submit all:
- Your event's program/agenda - Requirements and Template
- Course Director Agreement (DOC) signed by a Schulich Medicine faculty member who is a member of the RCPSC.
- Budget Template (XLS)
- Participant Evaluation Template for Single Speaker (DOC)
- Participant Evaluation Template for Multiple Speakers (DOC)
- Certificate of Attendance Template (DOC)
- COI Disclosure Form (DOC)
- Speaker Communication Template for Mainpro+ applications (DOC)
- Additional information required for Mainpro+ applications is outlined in the revised Mainpro+ application. Please contact email@example.com for the revised Mainpro+ form, process and fees.
- Completed application forms and supporting documentation should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete submission packages should be received no later than 2 weeks in advance of the date you wish to begin promoting that your event has been accredited.
- Planners cannot state that 'accreditation is pending' on their promotional materials.
- CPD cannot accredit activities retroactively.
- Planning committees must include a minimum of 3 members of the target audience. Administrative staff cannot be counted as one of these 3, unless administrative staff are included in the target audience. Planning committee composition:
- For Mainpro+ certified group learning activities, there must be a minimum of 1 member of the CFPC.
- For Mainpro+ certified online programs, there must be a minimum of 3 members of the CFPC.
- For Maincert Section 1 programs, there must be a minimum of 1 member of the RCPSC.
- HST is applicable on all tuition fees and educational grants associated with continuing education events.
- All Schulich Medicine continuing educational events must be managed through a Fund 4 project account created through Western University Financial Services. For the Continuing Education Guidelines and Application Form, click the following link using Internet Explore as the file may not be visible in other browsers: view this link
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) now requires a 3 slide disclosure at ALL Mainpro+ certified events. These include:
- Full disclosure of sponsorship funding received for the program.
- Outline of how potential conflicts of interest resulting from sponsorship funding or relations between speakers/planning committee members and industry have been resolved.
- Conflict of interest disclosure for each speaker and planning committee member.
For the 3-slide COI Disclosure template view this link. For suggestions on how planning committees can mitigate conflicts of interest, view this job aid.
For the complete guide: Understanding Mainpro+® Certification: A Guide for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program Providers, view this link on the CFPC website.
Other Accreditation Types
- Rounds, Journal Clubs and Small Group Learning Activities under Section 1 of the RCPSC MOC Framework can be 'self-accredited' by the organizing "Physician Organization" institution. Application Process
- Self-Assessment Program (SAP) Accreditation under Section 3 of the RCPSC MOC Framework must be approved by an Accredited CPD Provider. Standards | Development Template (PDF) | Application
- Simulation-based Learning Activities Accreditation under Section 3 of the RCPSC MOC Framework must be approved by an Accredited CPD Provider. Standards | Application