Volunteer Opportunity - Western Students Offering Support (SOS)Are you interested in developing your leadership skills? Do you have a passion for helping others? Would you like to build your academic portfolio while making a difference in students’ lives?
Students Offering Support (SOS) is an international charitable organization that raises funds by providing 1st and 2nd year exam-aid sessions. Our courses are run by volunteer upper-year students who have taken the classes previously and excelled in them. 100% of the donations collected from the review sessions go directly toward development projects in Latin America.
Why tutor for SOS?
- The money we raise goes directly to funding on our own outreach trip in Latin America!
- Gain valuable teaching experience
- Priority access and discounts on the Outreach Trip
- Advertise your own private tutoring sessions
- Receive up to 40% off on Princeton Review prep courses for the MCAT, GMAT, and LSAT
- Tutor at our Exam-Aid Sessions for each midterm and final (approximately 3 hours each)
- Attend department meetings and orientations (weekly)
- Maintain regular communication with executive members and other tutors
- Create PowerPoint presentations with your partner(s)
- Create teaching course packages for students (optional)
- Be comfortable with being filmed for our Digital Exam Sessions before or during your session
- Biology 1001A/1002B
- Calculus 1000A/1301B
- Chemistry 1301A/1302B
- Physics 1028A/1029B
- Psychology 1000
- Economics 1021A/1022B
- Math 1201B
- Biochemistry 2280A
- Chemistry 2213A/2223B
- Genetics 2581B
- Stats 2244A/B
Applicants must have received a minimum of 85% in the course to teach! Other positions available. We are also looking for volunteers to join our Finance department and Marketing department. The finance executives are responsible for collecting money for the Exam-Aid Sessions, while the marketing executives assist in promoting Western SOS to the student body. We would love to have you join the SOS community! If you're interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- The course(s) you are interested in teaching
- Your availability for an interview (Interviews will run throughout August)
- Your CV or resume.
The deadline to submit your application is Monday, July 31st at 11:59 pm!