Volunteer Opportunity - Western Students Offering Support (SOS)
Are you interested in developing your leadership skills? Do you have a passion for helping others? Would you like to build your academic portfolio while making a difference in students’ lives?
Students Offering Support (SOS) is an international charitable organization that raises funds by providing 1st and 2nd year exam-aid sessions. Our courses are run by volunteer upper year students who have taken the classes previously and excelled in them. 100% of the donations collected from the review sessions go directly toward development projects in Latin America. At Western last year, we raised over $20 000 to build a school in Guatemala and earned the nationally Most Improved Chapter!
- The money we raise goes directly to funding on our own outreach trip in Latin America!
- Gain valuable teaching experience
- Priority access and discounts on the Outreach Trip
- Advertise your own private tutoring sessions
- Receive up to 40% off on Princeton Review prep courses for the MCAT, GMAT, and LSAT
- Tutor at our Exam-Aid Sessions for each midterm and final (approximately 3 hours each)
- Attend department meetings and orientations (weekly)
- Maintain regular communication with executive members and other tutors
- Create PowerPoint presentations with your partner(s)
- Create teaching course packages for students (optional)
- Be comfortable with being filmed for our Digital Exam Sessions before or during your session
- Biology 1001A/1002B
- Biochemistry 2280A
- Genetics 2581B
- Calculus 1000A/1301B
- Chemistry 1301A/1302B
- Chemistry 2213A/2223B
- Economics 1021A/1022B
- Applied Math 1201B
- Physics 1028A/1029B
- Psychology 1000
Is there a course that you would like to teach that is not listed? Let us know, and we may open up some more positions! Applicants must have received a minimum of 85% in the course to teach!
Other Positions Available
We are also looking for volunteers to join our Finance Department and Marketing Department. The finance executives are responsible for collecting money for the Exam-Aid Sessions, while the marketing executives assist in promoting WesternSOS to the student body.
We would LOVE to have you join the SOS community!
If you're interested, please respond to this or email email@example.com indicating (1) the course(s) you are interested in teaching and (2) your availability for an interview. The deadline to submit your application is Friday July 8th at 11:59 pm. Interviews will run throughout July and August.