Schulich Awards of Excellence - Staff
All regular full-time staff employed by the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry are eligible (UWOSA, PMA, or PMA eligible).
A maximum of 10 awards per year may be granted each year based on applicants and funding available annually. There may be multiple recipients for one award category and no recipients for an award category if there are no sufficiently qualified nominations.
The Committee has the authority to move a nomination into a different category if they view it being more applicable to the criteria in a different category.
Recipients will receive a cash award of $500 per individual award and $500 per team award.
Recipients will also receive 2 complimentary tickets to attend the Awards of Excellence Dinner, one for themselves and one for a guest. For team awards each individual named as part of the team in the nomination package will receive two tickets up to a maximum of 10 total tickets per team award.
Previous winners may NOT be re-nominated for the same award; however, previous individual winners may be nominated for different awards. No recipient can receive two awards in one year, whether as an individual or a member of a team.
To nominate a staff member for this award, submit an electronic copy of a nomination package (one PDF file) which includes the following materials as outlined in the criteria:
- Completed online cover sheet
- Nomination Letter (maximum 500 words) describing how the nominee best meets the terms of the award for which they are being nominated.
- A letter of support from the direct manager/supervisor of the nominee.
- Along with the nomination letter and letter from the manager/supervisor, an additional 2-4 letters of support should be included. No more than 5 letters will be reviewed. CV’s are not required and should not be included in the nomination package.
All faculty, students, residents and staff in the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry may nominate an individual. Nominations will be adjudicated by a Dean’s Awards of Excellence Staff Committee, chaired by the Director of Organizational Effectiveness.
It is recommended to use the web browser Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome when completing the online form to submit a nomination.
Nomination forms will open in late 2018. Please keep an eye out for more information.
Awards & Criteria
The basis for each award selection will be determined by meeting most or all of the criteria for each award. The following awards and criteria descriptions are offered as guidelines for nominations:
Contact the Jennifer Parraga at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2111 x86415.
This award recognizes an individual or team who has demonstrated or accomplished a core component of the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry’s mission: innovation.Criteria:
- Developed a solution to a difficult existing problem effectively and productively or improved overall effectiveness through a new method or approach.
- Developed and implemented a plan for the good of the School and the community.
- Generated novel and valuable ideas and used these ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods, systems, programs, or services for their team, department, or the School.
This award recognizes an individual who inspires others to strive for their personal and professional best. They influence without authority, recognize others' interests; and build team cohesiveness. The award recipient would be considered “a Schulich Medicine & Dentistry staff champion."Criteria:
- Fostered an atmosphere of collaboration and creativity, which contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of productivity.
- Showed true leadership qualities in managing their staff/service/system effectively.
- Led transformational change for the benefit of the department or School.
- Inspired and motivated others to take advantage of opportunities to enhance their own lives whether professionally or personally.
This award recognizes an individual or team who continuously seeks excellence in practice. They often "take it to the next level."Criteria:
- Displayed initiative, dedication, and excellence in significantly improving systems, technical procedures, or administrative practices.
- Demonstrated outstanding customer service as an ambassador for the School to internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Developed and used creative approaches to work practices which improved service and efficiency.
- Provided a creative contribution in building the department or School’s identity.
This award recognizes an individual who has selflessly improved the lives of others, whether in Schulich Medicine & Dentistry or the community.Criteria:
- Demonstrated exceptional service to the School and/or community at large (e.g. voluntary participation in community groups, boards or charitable organizations).
- Extended their self to help others with a high degree of excellence, professionalism and integrity in their work, which contributed significantly to improve the overall Schulich Medicine & Dentistry environment and experience.
The Newcomer Award recognizes an outstanding Schulich Medicine & Dentistry staff member who has been a part of the School for a period of no less than two years and no more than five years at the time of the nomination deadline.Criteria:
- The individual has made significant strides in advancing Strategic Plan or Operational Plan initiatives; has improved efficiencies related to processes within operational units, departments or the School; and/or have successfully led a team through strategic leadership to attain major achievements within a unit, department or the School.